Remember that output of any action code is normally to set/alter one or more attributes. Here are a few things learned from testing complex action & export code…
Tiny steps save time in the end—especially when things are not going as they ought.
If an initial attempt at a piece of code does not work then consider the following:
- Use small deliberate test documents
- Break the code into discrete steps
- Be aware of context of execution and addressing
- Re-check documentation
- Using code notes for large code sections.
- Store interim code values in variables or attributes
- Store constant values in a note
- Viewing interim values via placards
- Using a log file to review interim code outputs
- Comment code and attribute descriptions
- Annotate your process if not simple
- Use the Tinderbox Inspector's tabs
- Abstract re-used patterns to functions
- Is it really a bug?
- There was a crash or hang
- Export code