This control panel is shown at the of any view pane Attribute Browser view. By default, all bar the first row of controls are hidden, accessed via a standard disclosure triangle to the left of the top set of controls.
attribute. This comprises a pair of pop-ups. and a search box. The first selects an attribute group and the second a specific attribute. Setting the latter is the primary configuration task with this view. The search box autocompletes attribute names and clicking Return will auto-select the pop-ups for the attribute name in in the search box.
container. More accurately this is the scope of the view/ By default a view is whole document (or current container if the view is created by altering the tab view type of an existing tab. The items listed are both immediate children and any descendants of the chosen container. The second control sets the order in which the categories are listed. Items with no value in the selected attribute list in a last un-labelled category.
summary. The controls are for per-category summaries. By default there is no summary. The first pop-up lists the $Name (default) plus an attributes shown in column view. The second control offers a choice of operation to apply to the choice. The default is no choice. For non-Number attributes the choices offered are:
- Count. This sums the number of items in that category with a value for the attribute. Thus in the basic Name/Count configuration the summary is a count of items in that category, as each note has a (single!) title.
- Count Fraction. For each category, this shows the category count as well as the total count (i.e. the total number of items in scope).
A larger range of summary types is available if the summary attribute is Number-type:
- none. (default)
- Count. (only option for non-Number type attributes)
- Total. The total value of all the category's items for the selected attribute.
- Mean. The mean value of all the category's items for the selected attribute.
- Minimum. The smallest value of amongst all the category's items for the selected attribute.
- Maximum. The largest value of amongst all the category's items for the selected attribute.
sort. Within a category, the items can be sorted on a chosen attribute. A pair of group/attribute pop-ups allow this to be selected. The default is $DisplayName. Attribute Browser categories are sorted by locale; thus, diacritical marks no longer create unexpected sort orders. When categories are sorted by the summary, ties are sorted by the category name.
query. A query can be added to further refine the overall choice of included items. The query applies within the current container scope as set via the container controls (above). Clicking in the input box opens a query pop-up. The description entered in the pop-up is used as a label in this box.
action. Akin to an agent action this optional action code is applied to all items listed in the view. Clicking in the input box opens an action pop-up. The description entered in the pop-up is used as a label in this box.
bins. (Default: 0) Only displayed/used where the attribute analysed is of Number-data type. If a figure is entered the view divides the difference of the lowest and highest attribute value to the desired number of equally-sized bins. It is not possible to Set a floor or ceiling for the lowest/highest bins. There is no stated limit for the number of bins that may be defined.