Styled text, whether just basic bolding/italicising/underlining or more complex RTF formatting is supported only when working via a note's text window. Thus:
- Full RTF styling:
- Typing into the text window & use of app menus on $Text selections.
- Copy/paste from RTF source in other notes or outside Tinderbox.
- Unstyled text (no mark up at all):
- Inspector setting $Text
- Info view setting $Text
- Action code setting $Text
- Drag-drop text file import (only supports plain/UTF-8 text)
- Menu: Edit ▸ Paste and Match Style (only characters, whitespace and line breaks are preserved)
Tip: If pasting styled text, it is often much faster to use Paste and Match Style and then re-apply any needed styles, rather then trying to wrangle RTF paragraphs styles. rich pastes often bring their own page width, i.e. different from Tinderbox defaults, with fixed widths/margins which can be problematic for hassle free printing. Remember that by default text pane rules are hidden so these rogue paragraph settings may be hard to spot. There is no paste option that preserved some formatting, e.g. bolding, but drops margin and tab settings.