To install Tinderbox, download the disk image (DMG) and double-click it to mount the image. Drag the application icon to your Applications folder (normally shown as an item in your Finder's sidebar).
Open the Applications folder, find the Tinderbox icon and double-click it to open Tinderbox.
For users with more specialist needs or those just wishing to test a new version before over-writing their existing version, Tinderbox can be installed pretty much anywhere (for which your account has permissions).
Installing on OS 10.8 (Mountain Lion)
From v10.8, Apple has changed the defaults for installing applications as part of improving security for the general user. As a result, after installation, on a default 10.8.x system the user may receive a warning dialog along the lines of "Tinderbox" can't be opened because it is from an unidentified developer. The error is slightly misleading, as Eastgate is a long-standing Mac developer. The warning relates to the lack of OS 10.8-specific code signing. However, including such causes problems on older supported OS.
Solution (required once only):
- When/if given the above warning, locate the Tinderbox program in Finder (in the /Applications/ folder).
- Right-click the program and select "open".
- A warning dialog will now state: Tinderbox" it is from an unidentified developer. Are you sure you want to open it? The dialog will offer 'Open' and 'Cancel' buttons.
- Click 'Open' and the app will run.
- Subsequently, the app will run as normal with no warning dialog.
- If you over-install with a newer release of Tinderbox, you may need to repeat the process (again, once only until the app is changed).